International News Safety Institute

13 September 2017  |  CPJ

Abdullahi Osman Moalim

Incident

Journalist dies during suicide bomb attack

Cause of death

Explosion

Details

Abdullahi Osman Moalim died on September 13 from injuries sustained during a September 10 suicide bomb attack in a café in Beldeweyne, a city in southcentral Somalia, his colleagues at Jubbaland TV and Somalia’s minister of information, Abdirahman Omar Osman, told CPJ.

Abdullahi, who worked for the privately owned Radio Codka Hiiraan and the state-owned Jubbaland TV, suffered head injuries after being struck by shrapnel in the attack, Hassan Aweis, the director of the Mogadishu section of Jubbaland TV, told CPJ. He was taken to Mogadishu for treatment where he died on the morning of September 13 at the Erdoğan Hospital.

A spokesperson for the militant group Al Shabaab released a statement claiming responsibility for the attack, which he said targeted Hiiraan administration employees, according to Reuters.

The café that came under attack, which is adjacent to the offices of Hiiraan regional governor Omar Adan Ibrahim, is a popular meeting place among journalists and politicians, Mohamed Maolimuu, a Somali journalist, told CPJ. He added that Abdullahi and his colleagues had been waiting for a press conference in the governor’s office at the time of the attack.

Read the original article: https://cpj.org/data/people/abdullahi-osman-moalim/

 

 

INSI Members

All members
Members Area

Members' Area

Members' Login